Why I sigh

Personal junk, things I think are funny, sad stuff, happy stuff, just my life as I see it + lots of dreams. (Disclaimer- Not everything that appears in this blog is 100% accurate.)

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Speech Impediments

Speech impediments run in my family. I for the most part over came mine when I was really young. It took me a little while to get what the speech therapist was talking about though since "That's not how my mom says it."
Tonight my mom was talking about Trick-or-Treating and brought it all back to me. It sounds like she's saying "trigger treating". I didn't realize what she was saying until I learned to read. There are many many terms and words I didn't understand until I learned to read. Apparently it isn't "For all intensive purposes." it's Intents and Purposes :D I know some people say it the wrong way, they also write it the wrong way. My mom says it wrong and writes it correctly. It just sounds funny. I even remember being confused over certain terms when I was young and didn't quite have the vocabulary to get across that I wasn't confused about what she meant by the word or term, but that it just didn't make sense. I get "Trick or Treat", I couldn't get "Trigger Treat". I mean, it's not like we went around holding people at toy gun point saying "Give me candy and I won't shoot you." So I'd say something like "What does that mean?" and get an explanation of how you go to the door, knock, blah blah blah.
When I was learning to read and would get stuck on a word I didn't know, it was kind of hit or miss as to whether I should ask my mom to pronounce the word for me. "But mommy, my teacher said that makes this sound..." "Yes honey, that's what I just said."
My childhood was slightly confusing.
Maybe it's just me. Other people can understand people with speech impediments, other people can understand lispers and mumblers and those who don't annunciate. I can't.
Well, that's not entirely true. I can understand Caitlyn and Melissa. It took me awhile to start to understand Geoffrey, but I started catching on.
Melissa... Hmmm....Whenever one of my friends first meet Melissa they give me these looks like "What's she saying? Help me, PLEASE." It just takes a little while to understand her without thinking about it first. The other day she said she needed to go to the store and pick up "deeodeeant", that her doctor "described" her some medicine so she needed to go to the drug store to pick up the "subscription" and she wanted to know if she should get a "prescription" to this magazine she really likes but doesn't know if she can afford. You can tell her over and over that medicine is PRESCRIBED, that you SUBSCRIBE to a magazine and what a DESCRIPTION is. It just confuses her and then the next time she says one of those words it's not only the wrong word for the context, but she mispronounces it. I finally gave up a couple of weeks ago. :)


Don't get me wrong, I love my family. I just don't always readily understand them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home