Why I sigh

Personal junk, things I think are funny, sad stuff, happy stuff, just my life as I see it + lots of dreams. (Disclaimer- Not everything that appears in this blog is 100% accurate.)

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Slang

Ok, I had thought I already made a post like this, maybe it was on some forum or something...
Ok, I never liked slang terms, or even contractions. For a long time when I was a teenager I would not even say "can't" I would say "can not". I thought slang words and contractions made you sound either stupid or lazy. I just would not use them at all, of course I would still say the more "acceptable" words such as "Cool" and things like that, but there were reasons behind it. I eventually relaxed a bit about it. Then I started realizing how useful words like "yer" and "gonna" are at conveying not only meaning, but emotion and attitude. I like books that use dialect and slang in order to show who the character is, Stephen King is great about it, I just love reading his books, the one I'm reading now is full of dialect and slang and the languages of the different characters are all so colorful. I think the main reason I am using so much slang, etc. Lately is because of Stephen King. I am just having so much fun picking a dialect to show whatever I'm feeling- I'm in a goofy mood I start saying "yer" "Y'all" etc, I'm a little upset about something , but trying to show that I'm not really mad I start saying stuff like "I don e'en know wha you theenk yer doin, but you had best step the fuck up off me" LoL (Ok, to some that would sound like I'm really pissed so I only use that phrase around people I know will laugh so that it will kind of help lighten the mood a little. ) I'm just having a heck of a lot of fun with language lately. Part of the reason I am making this post is to let everyone in on this so Ya'll know when I'm serious. When I am in a bad mood, I will NOT use slang at all, it doesn't even occur to me to use it unless I'm either in a good mood, or am around someone who is using it a lot. So if I am posting something and you happen to notice the lack of slang or whatever then you will now know I'm bein all pissy and you don e'en wanna talk to me that day. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home